Friday, June 18, 2021

The Objects of My Desire- part 1

   Light bulbs and bubble wrap.  Mannequins and long-neglected, antique display racks.  These things and more are left to rot in the rooms throughout the dusty fourth and fifth floors.  Items once inventoried, now forgotten, shuffled off to the upper reaches of this century-old downtown relic.  The main display floors, beginning with the sidewalk-level ground floor and up through the third, offer furniture, clothing and accessories no one will ever buy.  Perhaps in previous decades, but not these days.  “How does this place stay in business?” I often ask myself (as many other people do, I’m sure).  During my shifts I see few shoppers.  I roll my janitor’s cart through the different departments, wondering where the paychecks even come from. 

     The upper floors are haunted, I’m sure.  The building used to house a hotel, and the tarnished brass numbers are still mounted over many of the doorways, the smooth, dull finish on the well-worn oak looking much the way it did a hundred years ago.  A downtown staple, Winthrop’s is a destination for old ladies, mostly.  No young person in their right mind would shop here now.  This place is a throwback to another time, a dinosaur.  The few young girls that work here- some hot, some not so- are snotty, and offer better customer service to their cell phones than their customers.  My camera- my phone- fits perfectly in my shirt pocket, well-hidden.  They don’t know they’re the subjects of my project, the objects of my desire. 

     At home, in my little rented room down Main Street, safe from people and trouble, I log onto Walmart’s photo site and create their life-size faces.  All of them.  Even the old ones that have worked there since the forties and fifties, the smelly ones that still douche and wear the perfume that the stinky old ladies wore decades ago.   

17 comments:

  1. Damn that is creepy good! Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Loving this Haunted picture you're painting of that place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sure sounds creepy as hell. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely got a creepy vibe walking those corridors.

      Delete
  4. Hi again, b.a.f.!

    Shirley you discovered Shady Del Knight via our mutual friend Mary (pictured above). With eyes gleaming and a smile so wide my face started to hurt, I just finished reading several of your posts. I appreciate your writing style and your stories.

    A little about me: Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens, mannequin body parts and stinky old ladies - these are a few of my favorite things. As I read Part 1 of Objects of Desire, I couldn't help thinking about Dick Miller, one of my favorite horror movie character actors, a regular in Roger Corman's acting troupe who delighted me in flicks like Bucket of Blood, Little Shop of Horrors, Not of This Earth and Night of the Creeps. I look forward to reading your O.O.D. Part 2.

    Thank you again for visiting me at Shady's Place this morning. Let's keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it, Shady, and thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  5. That is a decidedly unsettling excerpt. More please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds very interesting, can't wait to hear what happens ahead. There's something very captivating about your writing style, must say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a way with your words, balanced. Definitely painting a very creepy picture. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, duh. Of course I read this. It seems my brain is a bit foggy this morning. lol

    ReplyDelete