Friday, April 23, 2021

Eggshells

 Sorry, I took a break for a while.  Anyway, I'm frightened by the sight of blood.  Some people grow out of it, some don't.  I even tried being an EMT many years ago, hoping it'd help me get over it.  Throughout my formative years mother, God rest her soul, would leave  sanitary napkins- sometimes folded, sometimes not- on the edge of the bath tub during the night.  I'd come downstairs either first thing in the morning or in the middle of the night to pee and would find what I thought at the time were bandages, thinking that someone had gotten injured while I was asleep.  As with everything else growing up I never discussed this, never asked about it.  Father was a psycho, mother was meek and frightened and my siblings and I never talked much about anything.  Everything was a secret, everything was taboo, no one dared talk about anything or ask questions.  Father, when he was around, exploded at the slightest provocation and was always over eager to find the nearest prop to beat us with. Mother even got in on the beating game, but felt guilty afterwards.  One night when I was probably about 8 or so we'd heard mother and father yelling and banging things around, and when I crept downstairs under the guise of having to use the bathroom I saw broken glass on the kitchen floor, mother staring into the bathroom mirror holding a bloody towel around one of her hands, crying and father sitting at the kitchen table with a cold, vacant sneer on his face. As with every other similar incident I didn't dare question anything.  I simply slunk out of the kitchen and went back upstairs.  I hadn't had to pee, but I think I remember waking up in soaked sheets that next morning.  

18 comments:

  1. Wow brings up unpleasant memories from my childhood. Nothing as bad, my father was not the disciplinarian, my mother was. She her instrument of choice was a plastic baseball bat. There was always one in the house but not for play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for dredging up unpleasantness from your past. A favorite in our house was always the belt with the biggest, heaviest buckle.

      Delete
  2. people need to take a test before they can procreate. my "parents" should never have done it. I don't like blood either, so I would never choose to be a nurse or an EMT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree wholeheartedly on the pre-procreating test!

      Delete
  3. Wow that was horrible. I'm sorry that was your childhood!
    I give you props man for trying to be an EMT and hating the site of blood. I couldn't do that. Far more brave than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the EMT thing didn't last but a couple of years. My first two- and most memorable- moments were an elderly gentleman vomiting blood continuously in the ambulance and a fatal accident victim & father of one of my then-wife's girl scouts folded up tight against his steering wheel. I learned quickly that my strong stomach wasn't quite as strong as I thought.

      Delete
  4. What a truly dreadful way to live. Sadly one that too many know. My parents used sarcasm as their weapons of choice. anne marie in philly is right. I suspect that many parents would fail such a test if it were properly administered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I learned to deal with the physical aspects, I believe possibly more damaging was the constant "You're no good/you'll never amount to anything" crap I heard often. I've often thought that two siblings' suicides may have been at least partially rooted in such shit.

      Delete
  5. Blood doesn't bother me so much. Bone fragments sticking out of the bone however... ewww.

    Brings up a memory from years back, not my childhood but when the boys were around 4 and 5 I was outside painting the garage. Youngest went in to get something for me and he and his brother started goofing around. One thing led to another and I heard a blood curdling scream. I come in to find that Youngest had fallen and hit his head on the glass and wrought iron coffee table. He split his ear, so off to the doctors we went. As he was being stitched up, there was all of this weird yellowish white cottage cheesy stuff on the cloth that the doc kept wiping away. I thought it was gauze or cotton from the towel he had against his ear for the blood. Nope. It was ear cartilage.

    I almost passed out on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! That reminds me of: I was a cutter in my early teens and remember cringing yet being awed by the white-ish "meat" I saw in a freshly-opened slice just before the blood started to ooze.

      Delete
  6. Hope you had a nice break, balanced. Sorry you had to deal with this as a child. I have some scars from my formative days but nothing like this. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Mr. Shife. Just part of life my friend. Just part of life. Shaped who I am? Maybe taught me what not to be? I'm sure many had it much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so wish every Child had Parents up to the Job. Childhoods fraught with abuse, either physical, verbal... or both... are a tragic Testimony of how many Adults should never have had Children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, there are many "parents" who should never been allowed to procreate. That's a fact.

      Delete
  9. While reading this I had a gnat on my hand recuperating from near drowning in my Kool Aid. And I just let a jumping spider go that crawled onto my laptop. Why are people so cruel? ~hugs~ I'm now chilled to the bone and going back inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Darla, people can be cruel, don't you think? Love that you let the spider and gnat live.

      Delete
  10. It's awful that some parents were like this around their kids. Mine were too, I think we saw too much as kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember seeing lots as a kid and assuming it was all normal. I have a feeling that for every one thing I remember there are 5 that I've forgotten about.

      Delete